TWO PART CLASS
Part 1 - Thursday, April 15, 2021 1:30pm - 5:30pm (CST)
Part 2 - Sunday, April 18, 2021 2pm - 5pm (CST)
Class Description: In this technique-packed class consisting of two sessions, students will make a beautiful statement ring out of fine silver metal clay. The ring features a beautiful stone in an ornate setting, as well as optional ornaments above and below the stone. First, Sulie will guide you as you make the ring itself. In the second half, Kieu will show you how to add a complimentary setting to your base ring by shaping, forming and setting. Students will have some opportunity to do some custom embellishing to the setting. (Stones may vary from image.)
Instructors: Sulie Girardi & Kieu Pham Gray
Skill Level: Intermediate
(Materials Kit included in price):
- PART 1: 30 g fine silver metal clay, small pot of clay paste, re-usable plastic template, small piece of fiber blanket, piece of sanding sponge, teflex strip
- PART 2: sterling silver stock, semi-precious stone, sanding material, choice of stone. Instructor will contact you for stone selection.
PART 1 Tools list:
- Basic Metal clay tool kit
- roller, 10 playing cards, scalpel, fine paintbrush, fluffy paintbrush, sanding sponges and straight salon boards (nail file) of different grits, cup of water, cup of olive oil, piece of saran wrap/cling film.
- Drying set up, such as a mug warmer, food dehydrator or kitchen oven.
- Brass or steel brush
- Texture Mats if desired
- Small molds or shotplates (optional)
- Ring Mandrel
- Ring sizer
- Scotch tape
- Firing set up: if possible, an electric kiln is preferable for this project.
PART 2 Tools list:
- Chain nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Flush side cutters
- Nylon nose pliers
- Needle files
- Student files
- Solder kit
- Flexshaft with buffing wheels and polish for polishing
- Magnifying glasses and Ott light as needed
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship March 30, 2021, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
**Domestic US shipping is included in Kit price. Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping, additional fees may apply.