Date: Sunday, April 18, 2021
Time: 9:00am - 12pm (CST)
Class Description: This ring combines both metal clay and metal fabrication techniques for some ‘clay-smithing’ fun! Create a fabulous textured background to showcase the natural beauty of the turquoise. Learn how to create a bezel to set a stone on metal clay that won’t be fired in place.
You will learn:
- Metal clay skills
- Firing metal clay with a torch (no kiln required).
- Metal fabrication skills
- Creating a split shank ring band
- Soldering onto metal clay
- Bezel setting a stone onto metal clay
Instructor: Stephanie Chavez
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Materials Kit (included in price): choice of kits
Kit Fee 1 $65- PMC Flex 10g, Fine silver Bezel wire, Sterling silver wire, 1 Turquoise stone
Kit Fee 2 $85- PMC Flex 15g, Fine silver Bezel wire, Sterling silver wire, 2 Turquoise stones (This kits includes enough silver to create 2 rings)
One turquoise stone is included in the materials kit. Stone choices are first come, first serve. See photo above. Enter your 1st and 2nd stone choices during registration. **Domestic US shipping.
- Basic Metal clay tool kit
- Roller, non stick work surface, needle tool or awl, Playing cards or depth measuring slats, glazed ceramic tile, xacto knife, water mister, release agent (cool slip, olive oil), drying plate, tweezers, sanding papers.
- Low relief textures, or 80 grit sandpaper
- Small tube or shape cutters (If you purchase the kit these will be provided)
- Flush cutters
- Jewelry Pliers - Chain nose pliers, Round nose pliers, Flat nose pliers
- Steel ring mandrel
- Rawhide or nylon mallet
- Jewelers' saw & 2/o saw blades
- Bench pin
- Metal shears
- Metal files
- Solder Set-up, including hard, medium and easy solder
- Solder pick
- Sandpaper 400grit
- Liver of sulfur or BlackMax (optional)
- Bezel pusher or bezel roller
- Polishing and finishing tools (patina, steel wool, Brass Brush or flex shaft/rotary tools)
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship March 30, 2021, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
**Domestic US shipping is included in Kit price. Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.