Date: Sunday, April 18, 2021
Time: 1:30pm – 5:30pm (CST)
Class Description: Students will use a number of traditional metalsmithing skills to create a wearable (and reversible) aromatherapy vessel with a stand. We will design, plan, measure and align pieces to complete this 3-in-1 piece. Many aspects of metalsmithing will be covered such as sawing, drilling, texturing, filing, sweat soldering, riveting, oxidizing and polishing. Focus will be on creating an aesthetically pleasing piece that is comfortable to wear on either side, along with an opening to place essential oil inserts, and a coordinating display stand to show it off.
Instructor: Amy Schmidt
Skill Level: Intermediate
Pre-requisite: A beginner metalsmithing
Materials Kit (included in price): Sterling silver stock, copper stock, leather cord. **Domestic US shipping.
- Jewelry Pliers - Chain nose pliers, Round nose pliers, Flat nose pliers
- Metal shears
- #2 cut bastard or half round files
- Round needle files
- Fine Tweezers
- Jeweler’s saw and 4/o and 2/o saw blades
- Bench pin
- Bur Life or Cut lube
- Drill press or flex shaft with #46 (2.06mm) drill bit
- Solder Set-up, including hard, medium and easy solder
- 2 equal-height magnesia soldering blocks or 2 bricks
- Solder pick
- Liver of sulfur or preferred patina (optional)
- Polishing compound (optional)
- Sandpaper - assortment of grits
- Optional Tools:
Optional materials for embellishment: small stones (8mm or smaller), bezel wire or corresponding bezel cup, silver bead wire, silver granules, small sterling silver pre-fab elements
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship March 30, 2021, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
**Domestic US shipping is included in Kit price. Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.