Date: Sunday, April 18, 2021
Time: 1:30pm - 5:30pm (CST)
Class Description: In the ancient Japanese technique called “Raden”, small pieces of mother of pearl or abalone are applied to a black lacquer base to form a beautiful mosaic.
In this class, you will learn to imitate this technique, and create a mosaic on metal clay. Students can choose if they would prefer to make a pendant or earrings.
Instructor: Sulie Girardi
Skill Level: Beginner
Materials Kit (included in price): 10 grams Art Clay Silver, piece of abalone, small pot of paste, polishing kit. Kits will be shipped by The Urban Beader. **Domestic US shipping is included in Kit price.
- Basic Metal clay tool kit
- roller, 10 playing cards, scalpel, fine paintbrush, fluffy paintbrush, sanding sponges and straight salon boards (nail file) of different grits, cup of water, cup of olive oil, piece of Saran wrap/cling film.
- Drying set up, such as a mug warmer, food dehydrator or kitchen oven.
- Brass or steel brush
- Fine tweezers
- Pin vise with drill bit or toothpick
- Fast drying black paint that adheres to metal, such as Vintaj Patina, Onyx. A Sharpie will work too.
- Ice Resin syringe (available from Hobby Stores or online)
- Small condiment cup
- Disposable stirring stick
- Any clear drying glue
- Liver of sulfur (optional)
- Firing set up
- small Butane torch
- fire brick (magnesia block)
- fire tweezers
- quenching bowl
OR electric kiln
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship March 30, 2021, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
**Domestic US shipping is included in Kit price. Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.