Part 1 - Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022, 1:30 - 4:30pm (CDT)
Part 2 - Friday, Oct. 21, 2022, 1:30 - 4:30pm (CDT)
Instructor: Sandra Zacharia
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Pre-requisite: Students must know how to use a torch and anneal metal, must be confident hammering metal.
Class Description: This class is about forming metal and moving it with just your hammer, a vice, dapping punches, and a wood block. With each hammer blow dictating the next step, you will learn to work intuitively as the metal moves, providing results that can be very exciting and surprising. Once you have mastered this technique, you will be able to control it and plan the outcome. This project is named after Betty Helen Longhi who taught me how to shape metal.
Materials Kit: pine wood block, sterling silver sheet
Domestic US shipping included. (Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.)
(Materials kit is included in price when "Zoom/Kit combo" or "Kit only" option is selected.)*
- Round nose pliers x2
- #2 cut half round or crossing hand file
- Straight burnisher
- Plastic work surface for cleaning
- Brass brush
- Nylon or rawhide mallet
- Masking tape or cello tape
- Pencil and ultra fine Sharpie
- Glass bowl for quenching
- Torch (except Blazer; propane or acetylene preferred, butane ok)
- Large table top bench vise with a flat top that is bolted down
- Synclastic hammer (from Tevel at Allcraft)
- Dapping punches (wood or steel) with at least one that is 1" diameter
- Small piece of leather or cloth 10” long
- Cardstock paper
- Small step stool (Depending on the height of your vice)
- 2”x4”x5" pine wood block if not purchasing kit
- Copper tongs
- Fire tweezers
- If you have a different synclastic forming hammer, please check with me first to be sure that it is useful for this technique.
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship Oct. 5, 2022, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
Zoom Recordings will be available for viewing until Nov. 1, 2022. Additional time may be purchased ($12) by selecting the "Extend viewing time" option above.