Date: Friday, Oct 21, 2022, 1:30 - 4:30pm (CDT)
Instructor: Scott Mason & Phyllis Flora
Skill Level: Intermediate
Class Description: Learn to prong set a beautiful, faceted gemstone, using half-round wire for the prongs on a heavy gauge sterling base. We’ll attach a peg-style bail to complete the look. This class has some new and unusual setting techniques for you to learn.
Materials Kit: Faceted gemstone, sterling silver sheet, sterling silver and gold-filled wire, practice copper, bail. A selection of gemstones will be offered.
Domestic US shipping included. (Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.)
(Materials kit is included in price when "Zoom/Kit combo" or "Kit only" option is selected.)*
- Digital caliper
- Mitre jig (optional)
- Bench block
- Rawhide hammer or nylon mallet
- Metal files
- Jeweler's saw and 3/o or 4/o saw blades
- Bench pin
- Cut lube or beeswax
- Flush cutters
- Jewelry-making pliers (flat nose, chain nose, round nose)
- Sandpaper (medium and fine grit)
- 1.3mm drill bit
- Flex shaft
- Stone setting tools (e.g., prong pusher, burnisher, or bezel rocker)
- Cup bur (optional)
- Oval bezel mandrel
- Soldering set-up:
- Torch (butane micro torch)
- Fireproof surface (e.g., Solderite board or charcoal block)
- Solder pick
- Cross-lock tweezers
- Hard, medium and easy solder
- Quench bowl
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship Oct. 5, 2022, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
Zoom Recordings will be available for viewing until Nov. 1, 2022. Additional time may be purchased ($12) by selecting the "Extend viewing time" option above.