Date: Saturday, Oct 23, 2021, 2:30 - 6:30pm (CST)
Class Description: This dimensional ring can be made any number of ways: you decide how to texture the silver, what shape and height the ring should have. Nestled inside is a sparkling fireable gemstone, its flash made even more prominent by the dark patina surrounding it. I’ll show you two different types of ring shanks, discuss how to calculate shrinkage, and how to torch or kiln fire your ring.
Instructor: Sulie Girardi
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Materials Kit: Art Clay Silver, pot of paste, fireable CZ, piece of teflex, sanding sponges.
Domestic US shipping included. (Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.)
(Materials kit is included in price when "Zoom/Kit combo" or "Kit only" option is selected.)*
- Basic Metal clay tool kit
- roller, 10 playing cards, scalpel, tissue blade, fine paintbrush, fluffy paintbrush, sanding sponges and straight salon boards (nail file) of different grits, cup of water, cup of olive oil, piece of Saran wrap/cling film.
- Metal clay syringe with any tip (helpful but not mandatory)
- Cookie cutter in the shape of your ring, approx 1” x 0.5”.
- Scotch tape
- Shape template or a cookie cutter slightly smaller than the first
- Small piece of glass or rigid plexi-glass
- Texture mat of choice
- Drying set up, such as a mug warmer, food dehydrator or kitchen oven.
- Rubber-tipped clay shaper,
- Round or half-round sanding stick
- Brass or steel brush
- Ring mandrel
- Ring sizer
- Liver of sulfur patina, if desired.
- Firing set up
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship Oct 5, 2021, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
Zoom Recordings will be available for viewing until Nov. 4, 2021. Additional time may be purchased ($12) by selecting the "Additional viewing time" option above.