Date: postponed until further notice
Instructor: Eva Sherman
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Class Description: The sculptural properties of metal clay lend themselves beautifully to the creation of carved organic textures. In this class we will mold and form metal clay, carve textures into the ring and then torch fire the ring.
Project Completion: clay drying time will vary, some students may not finish during the live session.
Materials Kit: metal clay
Domestic US shipping included. (Please contact instructor directly to arrange for international or expedited shipping.)
(Materials kit is included in price when "Zoom/Kit combo" or "Kit only" option is selected.)
- Steel ring mandrel
- Ring sizer
- Solder pick
- Rawhide mallet
- Magnifying glasses (as needed)
- Patina (Liver of sulfur)
- Basic metal clay set up: clay roller, non stick work surface, 10 playing cards or depth measuring slats, scalpel or Xacto knife, sanding sponges, straight salon boards (nail file) of different grits, cup of water, release agent (cool slip, olive oil), piece of saran wrap/cling film, Brass brush, flat working surface (ex: glazed ceramic tile, teflon sheet).
- Drying set-up such as a mug warmer, food dehydrator or dedicated toaster oven.
- Torch firing set up: butane torch, solder block (or the like), fire tweezers, quench bowl.
- Polishing and finishing tools (patina, steel wool, brass brush or flex shaft/rotary tools)
- Tape, Scotch
- Stepped wood mandrel
- Engraving pen with bits (suggested pen)
*Note: Kit only and extra kit options do not include instructions or recording. You must choose either a Zoom or Zoom/Kit combo to receive written instructions. Kits will begin to ship April 11, 2023, unless otherwise arranged with instructor.
Zoom Recordings will be available for viewing until May 10, 2023. Additional time may be purchased ($12) by selecting the "Extend viewing time" option above.